24 July 2008

The Scary Question

So my wife watched a film on TV the other night, but the last few minutes didn't get recorded on our DVR. When she asked me to pick up the disc at the library, I asked her if it was something that I'd be interested in. She told me I'd hate it: chick flick.

When I got it, I looked at the DVD box and it seemed to take place in England. I said, "Hey is this British"? Emily said, "I guess so, they had accents." Imagine that? Being able to like something or not for its intrinsic value and not because it's a cheap ticket to another country? Not because it provides valuable linguistic glitches or hints of exotic products and habits?

The film was Me Without You. I enjoyed it. But did I enjoy it on its own merits or because it did a nice job of depicting England during various periods (especially my beloved early 1980s)?

That's a scary question.

No comments: