01 July 2008

Doctor Wha?


I'm not even going to give you the link of the Guardian's Organgrinder blog, because despite the huge words *spoiler alert* right in the beginning of yesterday's entry, it's impossible to read much of it without finding out stuff you don't want to know.

We get each episode in the US on the SciFi network a few weeks after it has aired on the Beeb, so to us this would really be a spoiler. What I can tell you is that the last episode or this series (in American, that's "season"), is meant to be an incredible, jaw-dropping cliffhanger that really make you wonder what next season will bring.

From where I stand, I was please to have Steve Moffat taking over. I always thought thought his comedy, Coupling, was very inventive. Plus the previous guiding light, Russel T Davies, had to devote some more time to the spinoffs: Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures.

One thing that's been very interesting about this project is hearing back from people about what I call their "entry point" -- how their fascination with England started. For many, many people, it was Tom Baker, the 4th doctor that hooked many fascinated 12-year olds via PBS reruns. Most of those 12-year olds turned into dedicated adult Anglophiles. (Quick primer: Doctor Who is a scifi series that started in 1962. The main character has the power to "regenerate" -- so far nine actors have played the Doctor.)

Me, I somehow missed Tom Baker ... I think it was on too late or something. I have only seen a handful of scenes with him, but I've seen everything with numbers 8 and 9, Christopher Eccelston and David Tennant, respectively.

I just hope they don't change things too drastically.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Historical note: I remember why I didn't see any Dr. Who until the 70's -- it didn't air on any of the public TV stations broadcasting (remember broadcasting?) in New York City. I heard the buzz from Boston (if I remember correctly)exiles for a few years before I finally got to see for myself. Tom Baker was the Doctor when the series FINALLY reached ground zero.