14 July 2008

Lenny Henry Has Thrown a Spanner Into My Summer Reading List

I had taken a detour from Zadie Smith, Mark Haddon, and Nick Hornby, etc. to listen to Sarah Vowell read her own Assassination Vacation (even I have other interests than BritLit). I even have my next book, a real thick one from Martin Amis at the ready.

But I've really been enjoying this recorded book thing (formerly known as books on tape), especially good during long dog walks. And I suddenly remembered a rave review I heard on a radio show I listen to called the Bryant Park Project. The book is Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Normally, I totally ignore those Oprah-type book clubs in mass media, but I remembered them talking about how great the audio version is. Actually, I remembered being amused and perplexed that they were talking about the narrator, Lenny Henry, as though they didn't know who he is. They didn't know who the star of "Chef!" is? They probably don't even know that he's married to Dawn French. They probably don't know that Dawn French is half if the comedy team of French & Saunders. They probably don't know who Jennifer Saunders is -- hang on a sec, they probably do know Saunders because of Absolutely Fabulous.

I had forgotten the name of the book, and when I went back to the BBP's blog I discovered that I was not the only one outraged by their ignorance. Check out this on-line row. The postings left me a little ambivalent. I was glad that there were so many like-minded Anglomaniacs out there. But sad that amazing Brits like Lenny Henry aren't mainstream in this country for some reason.

Now armed with the title of the book, I previewed the audio on iTunes. They were right, of course. Book reading has to be one of the most challenging acting/voiceover jobs on the planet. Personally, I'd be rubbish at it. Actually, I'd act it out okay, but it would take about 10 year to record. But Lenny's VO is as smooth as if he was thinking up the words at that moment. It's a rare treat because I don't think he usually does narration, and did it as a favor to Gaiman, with whom he's mates.

No, I am not going to suggest a Phonybrit book club. But I will get back to you after I've completed the recording with a little review. In the meantime, order a copy from the library -- it comes very highly recommended.

No comments: