28 September 2008

Maggie, I Think I Have Something to Say to You

So many of my heroes have written screeds against Baroness Thatcher, or Thatcherism in general -- Billy Bragg, Paul Weller, Declan MacManus ... And most of it's been well vitriolic. I'm no Torry fan, and her philosophy of unbridled markets have been proved ... well you read the papers ...

So why was I so upset to hear that Margaret Thatcher is suffering from Alzheimer's disease? I learned from an interview I heard just last week with her daughter, Carol.

Of course, I could go on about the coincidence that both she and her "boyfriend," Ronald Reagan, got their just outcome or some such rubbish, but I'm not in the mood to go there.

Is it the fact that without her, my punk heroes would have nothing to be so cross about? That makes no sense. Is simply that an important figure from that period is in trouble? I don't know.

All that "Tamp the Earth Down" talk seems so distant at the minute.

So for the time being, please just join me in wishing the Baroness and her family well.

1 comment:

Mame said...

It's disturbing to see such distinguished people lose their dignity. It serves as a reminder that we will all face this possible turn before the end, which is bad enough on its own. So, I'm with you on this one, Ronnie. I may not have been a fan of Maggie but I would prefer her to go out with a stiff upper lip and a snide remark for the working class - for the sake of her dignity and ours. Good luck, Mags.