08 September 2008

Is it Steve Coogan's Time?

Steve Coogan's all over the place lately: He has major roles in Tropic Thunder and Hamlet 2.

I find his tactic interesting. Rather than using America to spread his entrenched British success, he's looking at it as a fresh start. It's as if Great Britain has been tainted with all those Alan Partridge appearances (that's one of his characters). You won't see Alan Partridge here ... in fact, you probably won't see any of his uncanny impersonations (he does a fantastic Al Pacino) or any of his standup/music hall schtick.

Coogan's positioning himself an an A-level Hollywood comedic actor. Often, he leaves his accent at the gate at LAX.

I'm not making any comment about the wisdom of that strategy. I just think it would be great if he at least did an HBO special so we can get a taste of what our cousins have been enjoying for years now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know I think us Brit's either love him or hate him....and I'm in the second camp so wish he hadn't followed my path here!