18 August 2008

Okay, I Admit It

I tried my hardest and couldn't finish Nick Hornby's ode to footie, Fever Pitch. With my daughter being a developing soccer star, I thought I'd give it a go.

It's just so hard getting dropped in from another planet and trying to sort it all out. I couldn't always work out who Hornby was talking about as he interchanged official names, nicknames, the pitch they play on ... and, of course, all those 1970s players.

Then again, I'd like to see my counterpart make head or tails out of a sentence that no one would bat an eyelash at here, for instance:

Yaz hammered the Amazin's at Fenway.

But this season, I'm really going to try to work out who's who. I might actually stay awake during the sport section of the BBC News Worldservice report. The Premier League started their season on Saturday, so this is as good a time as any to start paying attention.

I'm feeling a little techy from a weekend in (New) England and driving for ages, so here's some highlights. I'm going back to bed:

Chelsea beat Portsmouth and is now in the number one position
Arsenal won -- West Brom went home disappointed
Man U (champs for the last two years) tied with Newcastle
Everton lost to Blackburn
Liverpool over Sunderland
Tottenham lost to Middlesborough
West Ham beat Wigan at WH's home, Boleyn Ground

1 comment:

Cara said...

I couldn't get through it either, not even with skimming! I think I made it 5 chapters before I gave up.