07 August 2008

It Ain't Cricket (that we don't understand cricket in the US)

I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about cricket.

I do know that I'm jealous that because we're one of the few English-speaking countries not in the Commonwealth (I guess having a bloody revolution sort of erased our chances at that) we get left out of some of these cool Commonwealth competitions.

One thing I do know is that one of those competitions is happening right now at South Africa is in the UK and doing very well.

Another thing I know is one of the stars on the SA team is a batsman (i.e. "batter") and bowler (rougly "pitcher") named Hashim Amla -- and that Amla is one of the grooviest looking cats in sports today. I mean can you imagine a guy who looks like that playing on any kind of American team?

Rarely do I feel a personal affinity toward sports personalities (although I wouldn't have minded hanging out with Keith Hernandez circa 1986). I know it's shallow because I'm only judging this on looks, but I just think Hashim and I could be friends.

No comments: