22 June 2008

Yum

I promise this won't turn into a culinary site (the trouble and strife has that covered), but I just have to let you know about The Chip Shop, if you don't know about it yet. My mate Mark Humble of the Butties took me there a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that it's a transporting experience -- I keep thinking about that place.

The fish and chips are fantastic, but everything there is pretty authentic. It's one of the only places I've seen with real English Lemonade, PG Tips Iced Tea, etc. The hosts are very nice, as well. Check out their menu at their site. They have three locations, all in Brooklyn. And yes, they do takeaway.

So nip in for a "Becks and Posh" (new cockney slang for "nosh.")

BTW, it's little known fact, but fish and chips was originally brought to England by Jewish immigrants. The Guardian had a very interesting piece on this some time back. (I'm actually fascinated by the culture and history of British Jews, so more on this later.)

4 comments:

Cara said...

I _love_ Chip Shop, and its "neighbor" Curry Shop. Mmm, deep fried twix bars.
We dont have a comparable place here in SF, but that's prolly a good thing.

Mame said...

I think I know what I'll be tucking into for supper tomorrow night! And I bet they have the real deal malt vinegar. Can't wait. And PG Tips Iced Tea? Blimey, I'll believe it when I taste it.

Ronnie said...

Yes, I should have mentioned it. They serve both malt vinegar and tartar sauce, but we know what the "real" anglophans reach for :-)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, this place sounds good. I'm glad they've got the real malt vinegar! Fish and chips without is an abomination -- like a hot dog without sauerkraut.