29 June 2008

Westminster Shabbas Serendipity


Taking a day off of posting for the sabbath put me in mind of the last time I was shooting in the UK. (Doesn't that sound impressive? In truth, I've been on exactly two shoots in Great Britain.)

The main shoot was done, the crew dismissed, and I was making my way around London getting some extra footage of famous buildings. On my map, just an inch away from the Royal Albert Hall ... about 500 real-life yards ... was a symbol of a Jewish star, indicating that there was a synagogue there.

It already about 11:00 on a Saturday morning, but I thought why not, and wandered over to a little shul, on a little lane in Kensington Road/Knightsbridge, even thought I was sure that services would be ending.

I saw people still streaming in, and congregants assured me that not only wasn't I late, but that I was early. It was a Bar Mitzvah celebration and I reckon this Reform congregation has Bar Mitzvah services when it's convenient for the guests.

The services were very nice. The prayer for the Queen was a new one on me. And the Bar Mitzvah boy gave a speech on how Moses was like the coach of Arsenal and I think he compared the Hittites to Tottenham FC or something -- I'm rubbish and English football.

When I introduced myself to the rabbi, R. Thomas Salamon, he asked where I was from. When I said Croton-on-Hudson, NY, he said, "You have one of our scrolls."

Obviously, I was confused. What I didn't know was that this little shul in Kent House, the Westminster Synagogue, had an amazing history. During the early 1960s, it was the site of the saving over 1500 torah scrolls, most of which were repaired enough for use by congregations all over the world. These synagogues are just caretakers of these witnesses to barbarism. On the upper floors of the Westminster temple, there is a haunting museum telling the story of the saving of these torahs and an exhibition of the examples that were too badly desecrated to be used for liturgical purposes.

When I got home, I asked our religious committee chair to take out the scroll and, indeed there is a small label/plaque on the bottom of the right scroll holder with the number of scroll. I reported the information back to Westminster.

If you are Jewish and belong to a synagogue, take the time to examine your scrolls. If they have these plaques, contact the Czech Memorial Scroll Trust. Rabbi Salamon and the current team of heroes who work there have programs to help meaningfully convey the special story behind these "survivors" to all of the members of your community.

How Rabbi Salamon could remember my little community of 7000 souls in Northern Westchester, I'll never know, but the entire experience added up to a very memorable London morning.

** Thank you to the So Love is Hard and Love is Tough blog for the photo.

No comments: