25 June 2008

Solstice happenings

I think it was Anglophile (he moved there, didn't he?) Henry James who said the most beautiful words in he English language are "summer afternoon."

Now that the longest day of the year has come, Wimbeldon is in full swing (but I know f**k all about tennis). And the Glastonbury Festival is coming!

I'd like to think that if I were in the United Kingdom, I'd attend, but to be honest about it, I never go to anything (the Clearwater Festival is walking distance from my house here in Croton and I didn't go this year.)

The line up for this weekend's shows are hard to quarrel with: Amy Winehouse, James Blunt, Crowded House, The Verve, Leonard Cohen, Gilbert O’Sullivan, Panic at the Disco, Ben Folds, Jimmy Cliff, Buddy Guy, Joan Armatrading, Sinead O’Connor, and about a million others. I guess Paul Weller can't play every year.

For those of you who have CablevisionHD, you should get a channel called Rave. They have great archival shows from the festival, and they play them often, so it's worth seeking them out for a vicarious taste of what's going on starting of Friday.

Frankly, I'd settle for just walking around the town, buying some crystals, and learning about Druids, Wicca, and Paganism. I hear it's a very cool place.

2 comments:

Mmm said...

No one i knew would ever go to Wimbledon--far too expensive. Once I did actually go but it was to take an American tourist. We got in for a doubles match--free tickets someone gave away.

Ronnie said...

Hullo Mmm!

I heard that Wimbeldon have a new scheme that make things more fair. I think it has to do with a new cueing arrangement which somehow ensures that the "cheap" seats actually go to normal subjects instead of scalpers, or something like that. Have you heard anything about that?