24 June 2008

His Lordship

My friend Monica is engaged to one of the keenest Anglophiles I have ever met (which is saying something). He even popped the question at the top of the London Eye (aka the Millennial Wheel).

Needless to say, this bloke and I hit it off straight away.

One of the most intersting things about Brian (and something I just learned) is that he has created a whole alter ego called His Most Noble Lordship, Frederick George Arthur Wyatt Foppington, 36th Baron of Pilton and Didcot and the 14th Earl Foppington. Lord Foppington's website is lordfoppington.org. To quote Monica and Brian's personal website: "Is Brian merely masquerading as His Lordship or is His Lordship merely masquerading as Brian?"

This got me thinking about nobility. I'm not sure I have a firm opinion about the peerage system, the House of Lords, and all the titles and so forth. If I were actually British, I think I might be a republican (small "r" please), and definitely would vote Labour.

Still, I was super-pleased when Russel T Davies (who revived Doctor Who and has turned it into the current franchise) won his OBE, and of course when Macca became a knight of the realm. So maybe I do have a soft spot for the all this stuff too.

Great Scot: James McAvoy (The Last King of Scotland) is appearing in a huge Hollywood leading role ... too bad he had to adopt an American accent, but the film looks like a great ride. Wanted opens June 27.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is indeed a delight, a privilege, and an honour for you to have me leave a comment in this forum. Every now and then, we are pleased to happen upon a colonist who manages to rise ever so slightly above his neighbouring rustics. Mr. Marans is clearly such a man, and we wish to commend him on his good taste. As for his questioning the role of the nobility, I would advise the good readers not to hold this hiccup in logic against his otherwise fine character. Clearly, he is writing under the influence of an unruly and malodorous mob. As for being a proponant of republicanism, I would remind Mr. Marans that Britain had an unfortunate experiment with republicanism in the 17th century, resulting in a beheaded king, forty years of censorship and repression of the arts, deplorable fashions, and, eventually, after everyone had had enough, the restoration of the Monarchy. Whether one votes Labour, Whig, or for any other party, I would advise against harboring a grossly misplaced belief in the superior wisdom of the ignorant to determine the course of government. The recent history of your colonial government has more than proven that giving a man the right to vote no more makes him wise than teaching him religion makes him good. Until this is rectified, it is obvious that someone else needs to be in charge. God Save the Queen!

With all best wishes, etc, I remain,
Foppington

Ronnie said...

Ah, yes. That unpleasantness with Cromwell. But with geniuses like Brown, Cameron, et. al. how can they go wrong?

Oh. I see your point.