17 August 2010

They Had Me at Who


As mentioned ad infinitum, my cable provider does not carry BBC America. There are a lot of reasons why this shows that they know f**k-all about what people want, and it causes me a lot of personal grief. It meant that I had no idea how the Tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant, met his demise. And I had never seen anything other than stills of the Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith,

But in celebration of my getting a brand new Roku box, I decided to download the final David Tennant specials and Series 5, the first featuring number 11.

The new Doctor Who does not disappoint. (BTW, be careful here -- when referring to this show, the character is called "The Doctor" and the show is referred to as Doctor Who. I slip up all the time, but that's the rule. I also think the Doctor's new companion, Amy Pond is brilliant. Amy is played by Karen Gillan and looks just like my friend Mariah Wilson. (That's neither here nor there, but I did want to sneak in a plug since her film, Revealing Hate, is now available on DVD.)

Matt Smith is great and although I've just seen the first episode and some coming attractions, I can report that he completely embodies the spirit of the Doctor. It is too bad that they didn't go with a Black Doctor, as was rumored, but again Smith does a fine job. And although I will miss the show's head writer, Russel T Davies, we are in good hands with Stephen Moffat, who many of you know from his show, Coupling. As you may remember, Coupling, had a lot of clever playing with time and space -- good practice for Doctor Who indeed.

Photos by alun.vega. Thank you!



No comments: