09 December 2008

It Had to Happen

He was the only one of us who could pull off the 80s look during the 1980s ... He had a Jam striped shirt, bought on a trip to London circa 1983 ... He has been a fixture of New York and L.A. nightlife for years.

Now my best friend is into golf.

At least he has a penchant for *real* links, in the Scottish style. No cushy Florida country clubs for him. I believe he's even going to make a pilgrimage to the so-called "home of golf," St. Andrews. But if he wants to see the British Open there, he'll have to wait until 2010 -- just a year and a half. They only there on the 5's and 0's (1990, 1995, 2000, 2005, etc.) Other times, it could be anywhere in the United Kingdom.

I never got golf (Tiger Woods always seems to win at St. Andrews), but I may just join him on that trip. July in Scotland? I may just get to take the train up from London, which I've been wanting to do since I did a piece for National Geographic on those amazing brick viaducts they have on that line.

Thank you to Paul Birrell for the snap of the 18th hole at S.A.

1 comment:

Mame said...

July in Scotland? Sign this lassie up!