09 November 2009

Hammer: Another Uncovered World


As I've said before, one of the great things about being an Anglo-fan is discovering a whole amazing parallel universe -- one that speaks English! I remember Mike Starr, now a well-known TV critic and still a Peter Sellers fanatic telling me about Sellers's early films, including a classic in which he plays a prison inmate. Who knew?

Just last week I heard Madeline Smith and Valerie Leon, queens of the Hammer Films being interviewed on Radio 2. Hammer Studios was the prime B-movie factory in the 50s and 60s. It's a whole world of previously unknown (to me) shlock and the training ground for just greats at Roger Moore.

The movies weren't always top shelf, but the women [insert gesture of a stereotypical Italian chef with his fingers to his lips: "Delicious!"]

I guess I'll have to find some free YouTube and Roku time to mine this new vein.

No comments: